Friday, June 29, 2012

When a recipe isn't about food at all...

I've been scanning in some wonderful old photos of my Mother's family to get ready for a family reunion later in July.  And while digging through a Rubbermaid box of photos in my Mom's basement, I came across all kinds of great things.


Although, most of them were photos from all of our lives growning up - (and I can't wait to see the look on their faces! Oh, that hair!  Those clothes! What were we thinking?!)  I came across other things too, some letters my Dad wrote to his mother while he was away in seminar (he had at one point thought about becoming a Brother - and boy, where would I be now?!) and this wonderful little "recipe" written by Mema (my Mom's mother):




It is some sort of rub that she used to help with arthritis!  The note at the bottom says that it helped with Daddy's ankle.  Daddy - being my Grandfather, whom I sadly did not know.


I was enchanted with this little note card - and it made me smile that Mema wrote it down.  People who grew up during the Depression had to be clever and resourceful, using whatever was at hand to cure the sick, feed the hungry and clothe the kids...  My Mema was full of things like this - she probably forgot more than I'll ever know!


So, if you’re feeling achy - try this out!  And if that doesn't work - just eat some cake.  That works for me too...





No comments:

Post a Comment