Sunday, June 24, 2012

I've been away for awhile and I wish it was doing something fun... but it hasn't.

But since it was summer, I wanted to post a recipe for homemade marshmallows that are easy as anything to make, and once you taste them - you'll never buy them again.

Plus, they are perfect for making S'mores! 

Homemade Marshmallows:

3 packages unflavored gelatin
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
Confectioners' sugar, for dusting


Combine the gelatin and 1/2 cup of cold water in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and allow to sit while you make the syrup.

Combine the sugar, corn syrup, salt, and 1/2 cup water in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Raise the heat to high and cook until the syrup reaches 240 degrees F on a candy thermometer. Remove from the heat.

With the mixer on low speed, slowly pour the sugar syrup into the dissolved gelatin. Put the mixer on high speed and whip until the mixture is very thick, about 15 minutes. Add the vanilla and mix thoroughly.


There you are!  Don't be afraid of this - you'll get the hang of it...  I couldn't believe how soft they were when we made them in school.  And you can also sprinkle them with Espresso powder or cinnamon!

Here's hoping you have a fun filled summer - be careful, wear sunscreen and water your plants!

No comments:

Post a Comment